Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Yogi of Action

The following text from Mahatma Ghandi has been stuck to the back of a door in my bathroom for 5 or 6 years. This does not mean that I have integrated it into my everyday life. (Is it possible?) It does not even mean that I understand it fully. But it does mean that I have read it 100 or so times in that period, and that perhaps, when someone shows me disrespect for example, my reaction is different today from what it might have been. Perhaps I still get upset, for a second or two instead of an hour, or for an hour instead of a day. And that’s not bad, is it? I think it was a pretty good idea 'I had', to stick it on the back of a door in my bathroom...

The Yogi of Action

He is a devotee who is jealous of none,
who is a fount of mercy,
who is without egotism,
who is selfless,
who treats alike cold and heat, happiness and misery,
who is ever forgiving,
who is always contented,
whose resolutions are firm,
who has dedicated mind and soul to God,
who causes no dread,
who is not afraid of others,
who is free from exultation, sorrow, and fear,
who is pure,
who is versed in action yet remains unaffected by it,
who renounces all fruit, good or bad,
who treats friend and foe alike,
who is untouched by respect or disrespect,
who is not puffed up by praise,
who does not go under when people speak ill of him,
who loves silence and solitude,
who has a disciplined reason.
Such devotion is inconsistent with the existence at the same time of strong attachments.
.
Photo by Barun Patro

No comments:

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond