Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ship's log, June 5 2008

Here I will periodically renew my words of welcome and encouragement for those of you joining me on this ‘voyage of philosophy’. My last entry had a nautical turn so I thought I would continue with the analogy. I thought of calling it the ‘Captain’s log’, but we are all captain of our own ship on this voyage. The most I can claim to be is a master’s apprentice, or ‘master’s mate’. In the age of fighting sail, the ‘master’ was a very experienced sailor responsible for the handling of the ship and for navigation. He knew the sea and the wind, the moon and the tides, the reefs and the stars. And of course, he knew his ship. He was a great help to the captain in getting him where he wanted to be. So I hope to be of great help to you on your voyage.
And if I do well, perhaps you will promote me to ‘lieutenant’!

No comments:

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond