Sunday, August 17, 2008

Anger quotations

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size? Sydney J. Harris

A man is measured by the size of things that anger him. Geof Greenleaf

Anger ventilated often hurries toward forgiveness; and concealed often hardens into revenge. Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

I was angry with my friend I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not, my wrath did grow. William Blake

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die. Malachy McCourt

To carry a grudge is like being stung to death by one bee. William H. Walton

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. Buddha


He who angers you conquers you. Elizabet Kenny

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it. Marcus Aurelius

If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow. Chinese Proverb

Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes angry. Euripedes

Anger is short-lived madness. Horace

Anger and folly walk cheek by jole. Benjamin Franklin

Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools. Albert Einstein

Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. Ecclesiastes 7:9

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. Buddha

Reckon the days in which you have not been angry. I used to be angry every day; now every other day; then every third and fourth day; and if you miss it so long as thirty days, offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God. Epictetus

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy. Aristotle

Anger is never without an argument, but seldom a good one. George Savile

Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame. Benjamin Franklin

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression. Proverbs 19:11

He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty and he that rules his spirit better than he that takes a city. Proverbs 16:32

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. Thomas à Kempis

4 comments:

Jules said...

I like these, especially Walton's and Buddha's. May I add this (one of my favorite quotes of all time):

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

Now I'll go and practice NOT slamming doors or arguing with some people in my life ;)

Oh, and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

i too am dealing with my anger. And continue to due to my height and appearance. I get frustrated by peoples reactions. Each one seems not to bother me. But when life throws things at me and when it feels life is against me. I get angry. Slam doors, punch walls.
I cant change my appearance. So im thinking maybe philosophy, meditation?
To cut out my hooks that snag onto other peoples shit. So my shit doesnt become there assumptions/speculations.
Any suggestions.
Idont want anyone to have power over me. And i dont want to be a bully. But when i get angry. People see it as the most horrific ordeal.

Author said...

Philosophy can help anyone and everyone.

If you are angered by other people's reactions to your appearance,meditate on these quotes by Confucius:

A great man feels no discomposure when others fail to appreciate his ability and integrity.

A gentleman is not concerned about others not knowing him. His great concern is his not knowing how to be an ideal gentleman.

Also check out my posts on humility and gratitude, especially the lists of quotations. Humility will make you feel no indignation at other people's reaction to you and gratitude will let you see all the good things in yourself and in your life rather than the bad. Then other's reactions will not be so important to you.

Lastly, if you adopt these attitudes, don't be surprised that other people's reactions to you will change.


Let me know how you do, friend.

Alex

Anonymous said...

nice!

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond