Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blogger 3-column Minima template and Favicon

A little detour into form here: after looking around vainly for some time for help in adding a third column to this site, I finally struck gold in the least likely of places (isn’t that always the way?) The worthy food site Wandering Chopsticks had a post on the subject pointing me to The Beginning Blogger’s Guide. Here I found the only complete, easy-to-follow guide for converting to a Three column Minima layout that I felt I could trust. Still, I did test it out on a test blog first. But it worked perfectly. The result is this 3-column minima layout you see before you. (I did alter the widths of the columns in Julian’s code in order to keep the same widths for my post and original sidebar columns). I also followed Julian’s guide to How to add a favicon to your Blogger blog using Google Sites to host the favicon image. You can convert your own logo or image to a favicon or find ready-made favicons at Favicon.cc. So, a big thank you to Wandering Chopsticks and Julian at Beginner’s Blogging Guide and I hope you are encouraged to make these changes to your own blog.

7 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Your columns look mighty nice! :P I swear, Julian's instructions were the only clear and easy to follow ones I could find. Glad to spread the word. Thanks for the link love!

Author said...

My pleasure! I am curious to know how you found out I was talking about you!!
Don't you find it strange that Blogger does not offer a 3 column Minima update? You would think it was a national secret...

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I just followed my statcounter links. :)

Yeah, I find it really weird that Blogger doesn't offer a 3-column layout since it's obvious that a lot of people would like it.

I know of at least two other bloggers who rearranged their blog after my post, but you're the first one who actually gave me credit for pointing you in that direction. So I thought I'd comment and say thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

What were your final measurements for each column? I like the way yours looks, but can't figure out how to get my measurements like it. Thanks!

Author said...

The relevant lines of code referring to the column widths plus the margins should look like this:

#main-wrapper {
width: 410px;
margin-right: 15px;
margin-left: 20px;

#sidebar-wrapper {
width: 220px;
margin-left: 20px;
margin-right: 25px;

#newsidebar-wrapper {
width: 205px;
margin-left: 30px;
margin-right: 15px;

If you need more explanation e mail me and I'll send you the whole instructions with the modified columns. Good luck!

Westside Wedding said...

Hi, I've been trying to add the 3 columns to my site but after reading 3 different instructions, neither come out right. Your post gives me hope, but when I clicked on The Beginning Blogger’s Guide, it no longer exists. I'd appreciate any help you can provide :-) I will send you an email right now...Thanks in advance!

Author said...

Julian updated his site which is why the links were not working. I have just updated them and they are now working again.

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond