Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Whitby revisited

After family reunions, my first excursion was a trip to Whitby. I last went there 6 years ago (see my post A trip to the sea). Whitby is a beautiful old port and fishing village, and the site of a 7th century monastery. Captain Cook, the famous navigator and discoverer of Australia, served his apprenticeship here. The view of the sea here is not to be described: it fills 180 degrees of one’s vision and is strangely thrilling, liberating and rejuvenating.

I returned to the lighthouse on the pier and the little plaque that made such an impression on me those 6 years ago.

Nothing has changed on this pier. But there has been a lot of investment and renovation in the town. Now the beautifully restored little cobbled streets are lined with shops: jewellery, crafts, cafes and restaurants, and, how could I forget, pubs.

I climbed the 199 steps that lead up to the Norman church of St. Mary on the cliff top, adjacent to the monastery. The view of the sea and the town here can never be forgotten, if one only sees it once.

No comments:

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond