Monday, March 9, 2009

How to install a social bookmark button on your blog posts

Today I finally added an ‘AddThis’ social bookmark button to my blog posts. It was so easy - it took me all of 3 minutes - I can’t believe I haven’t done it sooner. As always, knowledge is power. Also luck. So many blog tip sites make it look so complicated you don’t even dare try it.

First, fortunately for me, I use the AddThis button – the #1 bookmarking and sharing service – which helps because it includes all the others and you don’t have a gazillion icons at the bottom of your post. When you choose your button on the AddThis site and click to get your code you are taken to the code page where you find the simplest instructions on how to install a button on your posts. So simple I will repeat them here:

Blog post button

To include the button beneath each post,

1 - Select Layout > Edit HTML
2 - Check the Expand Widget Templates checkbox
3 - Copy and paste the code snippet below into the template, right after the (div class='post-footer') tag
4 - Click Save Template

Of course you should always save your template before making any changes to it in case you make a mistake. But if I can do it, you can do it. The result is the nice little bookmark at the bottom of this post (mouse over it to see a list to choose from).

So shipmates, I know you have all been chafing at the bit in frustration at not being able to print, e mail, share and otherwise redistribute all my little nuggets of insight. Well now, thanks to AddThis, those dark days are over…

1 comment:

BloggerGeeze | Blogging Tutorials said...

I know this tutorial can help you out so I have come here to share this new blogging tuts about: Social Networking and Bookmarking site's buttons that you should install on your blogs

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond