Friday, July 3, 2009

The Story of Stuff, with Annie Leonard

Today I discovered the following video ‘The Story of Stuff’ with Annie Leonard. Here you have the malaise and yes, the tragedy of our time in a simple yet powerful 21-minute media message. Since the 1950’s we have increasingly been brainwashed into accepting as normal a consumer-driven culture and since the 1950’s, strangely enough, personal happiness has been in decline. We live in a world where to live frugally and simply is to be a maverick and something of an eccentric. We spend money we don’t have, to buy things we don’t need, to impress people we don’t like.
I have a cellular phone that I bought about 5 years ago. I don’t use it much and it still looks like new. No one I know (or don’t know) still has one like it. Everyone else seems to have a new thin flip phone or Blackberry-type. I find myself thinking I should buy a new one. But only for a moment. I suppose I am becoming eccentric in my old age.
Watch the video, see through the brainwashing and get off the consumer merry-go-round.

No comments:

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond