Friday, February 6, 2009

1,000th Anniversary of 'The Tale of Genji'

As luck would have it once again, I have just discovered that the Japanese are at this very moment celebrating the 1,000th anniversary of The Tale of Genji. I am not making this up and I had no idea. Sincerely! I suppose it is a case of if you live a virtuous life everything just falls effortlessly into place.
I will not attempt to tell you about the celebrations going on in Japan, I will simply let you read Danielle Demetriou’s fascinating feature, Ga-ga for Genji, over at The National Newspaper.
Now I am even more intrigued to get my hands on a copy of this classic work of Japanese literary art.
.
Illustration from Wikimedia : Genji Monogatari, Musée Saint-Remi

No comments:

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond