Saturday, February 21, 2009

Edward De Vere Google search

Since my last post The real Shakespeare where I revealed to a shocked world that William Shakespeare was the pen name of Edward De Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford, I have done some more research on the subject. And it now appears that me and a guy in northeastern Nepal are the only two people in the world who didn’t know this already.
I found this out by doing a search on Google for ‘Edward De Vere’. I may have imagined it, but it seemed to me that the lights dimmed a little as Google took the strain of searching the six million gazillion web pages, blogs, book sites, associations, and societies of all the people who have written extensively on the subject. I think I even saw the hourglass symbol appear on the screen for a fraction of a second. I had a flash of the Google search engine saying to itself “He wants a search of what? Holy mother of RAM, that’s gonna take us 150 milliseconds, maybe more. Do we have to? Geez, what a life…Forget about that multi-lingual Bible reference search, they’ll have to wait... Call Google.ru ask them if they can give us a hand…Boy, some people ought to get out more...”
I haven’t time now to give you even the broad headings of what is out there on the web. But reader Magusdee kindly commented (probably with an inward sigh) on my last post:

The best single source for the Oxfordian case is Mark Anderson's "'Shakespeare' by Another Name: The Life of Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who Was Shakespeare" (in softcover, Gotham Books 2005). Scintillating reading--one has no doubt, after finishing the book, that, yes, De Vere wrote the plays, poems, and sonnets. Game, set, match, Oxford.

I have now ordered this book and in time I will let you know my impressions. As I commented back to Magus, the great thing about this whole thing is that little was known about the traditional ‘Stratford’ Shakespeare whereas quite a lot is known about Edward De Vere. This means that we now get to ‘know Shakespeare’ much better, or rather we get to know him for the first time. But I was forgetting, you guys already knew that.
.
Image: Beautiful De Vere-inspired Elizabethan music by Mignarda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you're familiar with the Oxford theory, don't forget the Prince Tudor Theory, which is as much fun to explore as the Oxford theory, and as convincing.

By the way, you have a good domain name, good slogan, good image, etc.

Author said...

Jim, say it ain't true! There's another theory just as good? I thought we had a done deal here, guilty as charged, case closed... Does everyone know about this Prince Tudor Theory too? Nobody tells me anything around here, what a dummy I must look...
OK I shall certainly read what you have to say on this new (to me) theory and get back to you all (who already knew about it and didn't tell me...)
Thanks Jim! And thanks for the site comments, I appreciate it. If you have any ideas how to improve the site, please comment or write to me.

william s said...

Jeez Alex, are you so gullible? Does historical truth mean anything to you? Eddie de Vere was a scuzzball of a man. PT2 theory, are you nuts? Stop swallowing everything these Orksfordians tell you. There is no shocked world at this news. It's a big yawn as usual. Revise history, change the past if you can. Indoctrinate the future. Everything your philosophy advises you against.

Wake up dreamer! Time for the buddhist monk to slap you up side the head.

But pride is the greatest sin. It makes you feel good to know that the world is being duped while you know the truth.

tabernacle!

Author said...

Hi William S,

Normally I would not publish such an obnoxious un-gentlemanlike comment from a reader, but I will this time, just to show how this topic gets people's knickers in a twist and because the commenter obviously has nothing to add to the discussion.
Thanks W S for your great input and don't bother replying, we got the memo.

Alex

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)

Discover The Tale of Genji, the 11th Century classic of Japan (click image)
Kiyomizudera Temple has a large veranda looking out over Kyoto and beyond